Sampling the Expo—Part 3
by Donald E. Pszczola
In this the third—and last installment—of sampling the Food Expo, the winds of inspiration are blowing as strong as ever. You’ll see what I mean if you stop by some of the following booths and sample the prototypes foods and beverages that are being offered.
● Colorful happy hours. Sodas are served by GNT USA Inc., Booth 4010, that are made with the company’s line of Exberry fruit-derived natural colors. Various naturally colored syrups are added to seltzer to create tasty and colorful concoctions reminiscent of an old-fashioned soda shop. Then during Happy Hour (3–5 p.m.), it’s time for frozen cocktails formulated with Exberry natural colors. Naturally colored virgin frozen “mocktails” are also available for sampling throughout the day. In addition, natural colors will be featured in soft serve ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbet, as well as syrups, sprinkles, and other toppings for these applications.
● Great (Mousse) Balls of Fire! Taste and see how gum systems from Gum Technology Corp., Booth 5956, can be effectively be used in Mousse Balls and Unholy Cheeseburger Ravioli. Jason R. Gronlund, Executive Chef and Senior Director of Culinary at Carla’s Pasta, created the Chai Mousse and Chocolate Espresso Dream Mousse, both served in a ball form. A blend of lambda carrageenans holds aeration in the mousse and provides an instant and smooth, creamy texture. Unholy Cheeseburger Ravioli, made with gums from the Coyote Brand line, features the flavors of a cheeseburger.
● A gumball rally? Crunchy gumballs are highlighted by TIC Gums, Booth 6029 , using a gum system, TicaPAN Quick Crunch. The system, an alternative to gum arabic, is incorporated into the coating to enhance the crunch of the shell. According to the company, the ingredient has binding and viscosity properties comparable to those of gum arabic but it dries faster and lends a crunchier texture to the finished shell.
● Providing the right whey. A Rocky Road Bar prototype features a blend of whey proteins from Hilmar Ingredients, Booth 5151. These proteins help control moisture, reduce dough stickiness, and make the bar softer and more pliable. Also served is a whey-protein-fortified orange juice which demonstrates the stability of these ingredients across a pH range.
● What’s on the menu? A menu developed by Bret A Lynch, Executive Chef for EverGreen Culinary Solutions LLC, features a number of health-promoting ingredients from P.L. Thomas, Booth 2010. Items include Wild Sockeye Kodiak Island Salmon Omega Skewers with Sesame Five Spice Chia Seed (for heart health), Yuzu Citrus Glaze (for bone and heart health), Ancient Grain Garbanzo Salad with Yogurt Tahini Dressing (for bone health), Gluten-Free Chia Seed Rosemary Baguette (for omega delivery and antioxidants), Salsa Rosso Dipping Sauce (for sustained energy), Antioxidant Mini Cupcakes with Natural Colors, and Beauty from Within Drink (for skin hydration).
● Showcasing dairy. Dairy ingredients from Fonterra USA, Booth 3625, are highlighted in a number of prototypes demonstrating their functionality and nutritional benefits. Formulations available for sampling include Greek Yogurt enhanced with DeluxeProtein, Reduced-Sodium Cheddar Cheese, Sports Recovery Beverage made with ClearProtein, Indulgent Bars with PowerProtein, and Organic Cheddar Cheese.