New Sweeteners, Tools to Reduce Sugar
It was recently reported that U.S. adults consume 22.2 teaspoons of sugar a day—or 355 calories. This may be contributing to the obesity epidemic in the United States and around the world. Thankfully, many ingredients companies are developing low-calorie or no-calorie replacements for sugar. Here are some new products featured in this category:
- Anhui Jinhe Industrial Co. Ltd.’s (booth 8013) Acesulfame K: A sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar.
- Clasen Quality Coatings’ (booth 6613) “Better For You” Coatings: This new line represents a reduction of up to 25% in both sugar and fat content over its Star line. Available in milk, white, and dark chocolate flavors.
- Domino Specialty Ingredients’ (booth 4529) Organic Blue Agave Light Nectar: Slightly thinner than honey with a neutral, mild flavor. Can be used to replace high fructose corn syrup and zero calorie sweeteners. A multi-purpose sweetener that is 25% sweeter than sugar.
- Jiangxi Beiyang Food Additive Co. Ltd.’s (booth 8322) Acesulfame K: Can be used as a sweetener in soft drinks, chewing gum, instant coffee, instant tea, dairy product analogs, gelatins, pudding desserts, and baked foods.
- New Trend Group’s (booth 6417) Sucralose: A high intensity sweetener that makes a wide variety of calorie-reduced products possible, including soft drinks, ice cream, dairy products, and baked goods. Can be used almost anywhere sugar is used.
- Premium Ingredients International’s (booth 4119) Stevia (Reb A 97 & SG95): Premium Ingredients is the exclusive U.S. distributor for PureCircle’s Reb A 97 and SG95, which is the new, natural stevia derived proprietary blend. Half the cost of other sweeteners, it can be used to replace up to 50% of sugar without detection. 100% natural, non-caloric, and up to 400 times sweeter than sugar.
- Sensus America Inc.’s (4139) Frutalose SF75: A low-calorie, all-natural sweetener designed to help manufacturers reduce sugar in their products. Delivers 65% of the sweetness of sugar at 2 kcal/gram. A clinically proven prebiotic that contains 75% soluble dietary fiber.
- Univar Food Ingredients’ (4135) “Less is More” Interactive Formulation Tool: Allows easy access to the latest ingredient application information and a browser-like interface that customers can use to navigate technical documents, trend guides, and starting formulations for reducing sodium, fat, and sugar.