Push for Sodium Reduction Continues
Savory foods are always popular on the Food Expo floor, and this year will be no different. However, as the push for lowering sodium in formulations continues, you will find a plethora of new ingredients and technologies that help lower sodium in food. Here are just a few:
- Kudos Blends (booth 2381) showcases its potassium bicarbonate—a patented alternative to sodium bicarbonate—which maintains all the functional qualities of sodium bicarbonate without the sodium content.
- Balchem Corp.’s (booth 2755) C-Salt choline chloride can be used as a 1:1 “drop-in” replacement for salt, allowing reduction in sodium chloride of up to 50%, without imparting undesirable flavor or otherwise complicating food processing operations.
- OneGrain technology from AkzoNobel Salt Specialties (booth 2885) can achieve up to 50% sodium reduction by combining regular salt, mineral salt, and taste-enhancing flavors in single salt grains.
- Biorigin (booth 1735) highlights the use of ingredients from the Bionis and Bioenhance lines, which allow for a 70% reduction in sodium in snack applications. The Bionis line of yeast extracts provides body, mouthfeel, and umami taste and the Bioenhance line of naturally derived taste enhancers will help improve the salty taste in sodium-reduced products without the addition of salt.
- The Scoular Co.’s (booth 1807) SmartSalt ingredient is formulated with a co-crystallized triple mineral salt—magnesal—which the company reports is primarily a form of magnesium chloride that has a clean flavor profile and reduced hygroscopicity. It is said to provide 100% salt taste with up to 60% less sodium in a number of applications.
- Spicetec’s (booth 2401) newly patented Micron Salt ingredient is a blend of ultra-small crystals made by micropulverizing salt to a patented particle size, making it have three times more surface area per volume than salt.
- Visit Morton Salt’s (booth 2559) Salt Inspiration Station where you can learn more about the company’s specialty products, and experience for yourself different salt particles and their functionality across product categories. In addition, Morton Salt will introduce the newest addition to its line of sodium-reduction solutions—Fine KaliSel Potassium Chloride (KCI).