IFT Food Expo Provides an Array of Themes—Part 1
With casinos ranging from Treasure Island to Circus Circus, from the Venetian to Paris, Las Vegas is a city of themes. In a short distance, you can visit the duplication of various settings from around the world. It is quite appropriate then that many exhibitors at the IFT Food Expo are showcasing their own distinctive and exciting themes.
In this article, we’ll look at six examples of these themes. Then tomorrow, we’ll finish up with another six, completing a baker’s dozen of booths that you won’t want to miss. Let’s begin with a Vegas bar scene that is definitely “off the Strip,” you might say.
• “What’s Happening in Vegas is Happening at the IFT Tabasco Booth.” McIlhenny Company/Tabasco Brand Products (booth 733), transforms its booth into a Vegas bar scene that serves up its famous hot sauce ingredients in a number of applications. On the bar menu can be found Cajun Lightning and Thunder, a chilled cocktail made with SoCo Fiery Pepper, cranberry juice, and Red Bull, and Blue Voodoo, a chilled cocktail made with SoCo Fiery Pepper, Blue Curacao, Malibu Rum, and pineapple juice. While enjoying these drinks, bar regulars can sample such appetizers as Buffalo Hummus Filled Filo Cups, Spicy Chex snack mix, and Crawfish Artichoke Spinach Dip. New products featured include Tabasco Brand Buffalo Style Hot Sauce, which is now available for industrial ingredients, and Southern Comfort Fiery Pepper created by Brown-Forman using Tabasco Brand Original Red Pepper Sauce.
• “Snack Attack.” Snacking has become one of America’s new favorite pastimes and applies to all ages. As consumers look for ways to achieve a healthier lifestyle, key snacking trends include creating kid-friendly, nutritious snacks and developing bite-sized, portion-controlled snacks for adults to enjoy. Grain Processing Corp. (booth 1259), demonstrates the use of its ingredients in these trends. TruBran® corn bran—a natural, insoluble dietary fiber said to boost fiber levels without sacrificing taste—is featured in a tasty, kid-friendly pizza snack. The light, creamy color of the ingredient makes it easy for manufacturers to add fiber with minimal impact on finished product appearance. Delectable, portion-controlled dessert bites for a more grown-up appeal are available. Utilizing the moisture-binding attributes of Inconsity® instant food starch, frozen desserts can maintain product integrity during a longer freezer shelf life.
• “Seasonal Surprises.” We’re all familiar with the taste of a strawberry, but what would a strawberry taste like had if it grown and matured in the middle of winter, adapting itself to all the elements of that season? It would probably have some significantly different aromatic notes. In its 2012 Flavor Collection, “Seasonal Surprises,” Jean Niel (booth 1271), is having fun with Mother Nature and delectable fruit flavors. The flavors in this collection were the result of revisiting their organoleptic characteristics to create new tastes. Attendees will be able to sample these new “out-of-season” flavor experiences.
• “Twist on Street Food.” Daily chef demonstrations at French’s Flavor Ingredients (booth 661), will show how to put a twist on familiar street foods, such as sandwiches, wraps, and tacos. On Tuesday, June 26, attendees can learn how to turn the Philly cheesesteak sandwich into a spicy Italian Buffalo Philly using Italian-spiked Buffalo Wing sauce over grilled steak and onions covered with melted provolone cheese. On Wednesday, June 27, the chef shows how to add flavor to a plain chicken taco by stuffing a masa flour tortilla with Spicy BBQ Chipotle Chicken and Avocado Slaw. And finally on Thursday, June 28, learn how French’s Dijon, cream, beef demi-glaze, and tarragon can flavor beef chuck to produce a hearty sandwich served with Swiss cheese on a crunchy French baguette.
• “A Retro Resurgence.” Using the current retro resurgence as the inspiration, David Michael & Co. (booth 1901), features two Adults Only® flavored water ices that taste just like their real cocktail counterparts. Don’t let your taste buds fool you—no alcohol was used in these cool treats. Also highlighted are Gluten-Free Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Gluten-Free Cocoa Buttercream Frosting (guaranteed not to disappoint) and an Achiote Lime Greek Yogurt Dip.
• “From Palatable to Delectable.” Following the growing trend of wellness, Edlong Dairy Flavors (booth 2447), showcases its premium concentrated dairy flavors that transform better-for-you foods from palatable to delectable. One application includes a Vitamin Fortified Pudding made with milk and cream flavors to mask the off notes of added vitamins and minerals.
Stay tuned tomorrow to visit the second half of theme booths.