Competition Showcases Healthy Snacks for Kids
Disney characters add a big element of fun to nutritious fare created for the annual Disney-IFT Student Association Product Development Competition, which enters its final phase at the IFT Annual Meeting & Food Expo. Sponsored by Disney Consumer Products, the competition is now in its fourth year. Five student teams are competing for top honors in Las Vegas.
The competition challenges teams with developing a product concept suitable for retail or foodservice that is unique, innovative, and healthful and targeted to children under the age of 12. Specifically, the products are to incorporate at least one of the following: a fruit, a vegetable, low-fat dairy, and/or whole grains. Participating teams develop their product around one Disney character franchise.
Here’s a preview of the new product creativity that will be on display in Las Vegas from the finalists.
• The Cornell University team’s concept is Phineas and Ferb’s Vegginators, a convenient snack packed with fiber and a full serving of vegetables.
• The University of Florida team will be showcasing Yum-e-Milk, a fizzy chocolate milk enriched with natural nutrients from almonds and dates and sweetened with stevia.
• The offering from the University of Minnesota team is Mickey’s Fantasticos, a Mickey-shaped sandwich cracker formulated with vegetables in the cracker batter and a filling of low-fat cream cheese.
• A team from the University of Wisconsin-Madison has developed Peanut Butter Jamsicles, which are frozen treats on a stick that swirl creamy peanut butter and high-protein Greek yogurt with a burst of 100% grape juice concentrate—ingredients designed to give the product the familiar flavor of a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
• The entry from another University of Wisconsin-Madison team is Pit-Stop, a portable smoothie beverage made with a blend of fruit and vegetable juice and Greek yogurt.
Check out the competition’s oral finals in the Special Events Pavilion, Booth 776, right on the Food Expo floor, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 27. Disney will present the winning teams with prizes at the IFTSA Welcome Assembly on Wednesday night. The grand prize is $7,500, and first place is $3,500. In addition, three teams will receive honorary prizes of $1,000.